How Long Does Gout Last? These 3 Factors Determine the Answer

When asked “How long does gout last?” most people would say, "Too long!" The real answer: It depends on three considerations that can contribute to a gout attack's duration.

how long does gout last

How long does gout last? Your symptoms, treatment, and diet all come into play.

© Tashatuvango | Dreamstime.com

Gout attacks quickly, usually at night and most often in your big toe. The pain heightens about eight to 12 hours after onset. Gout symptoms can be extremely painful, and the first 24 hours are usually the worst. A gout attack typically lasts three to 10 days. However, the answer to the common question “How long does gout last?” is more complicated.

Remember that your gout problem has actually been brewing for quite some time, possibly years. Gout is caused by uric acid buildup in the blood. Uric acid is a waste product normally eliminated from your body by your kidneys. When your kidneys aren’t fully functioning and/or your body is producing too much uric acid for the kidneys to keep up, excess uric acid in the blood can become hard crystals that attach to joints and tendons, setting the stage for inflammation and painful gout.

With that in mind, answering the question “How long does gout last?” depends on three main factors.

1. Your Gout Symptoms

First, you need to know how to define gout, which means you need to see a doctor, at least for the first attack. Gout symptoms—swelling of the joint, inflammation, redness, and sore skin—can be associated with other diseases, too.

If gout sounds a lot like arthritis, you’re right. Gout is a form of arthritis in that it’s an inflammation of the joints. And like arthritis, the real answer to “How long does gout last?” is, unfortunately, a lifetime. The good news is that medications and diet can make a difference in gout’s severity and frequency.

With treatment, individual episodes of a gout attack will be fewer and the length and severity lessened. Some gout sufferers never have a second episode. But untreated, gout will likely return.

how long does gout last

2. Your At-Home Gout Treatment

Second, you can usually alleviate gout symptoms at home. The medicines your doctor prescribes are important in controlling gout over the long run, but once gout appears, your goal will be to ride it out via treatment and diet. It also helps to rest the joint as much as possible, applying cold packs as needed. Sometimes it’s even painful to wear a sock, so some gout sufferers cut a hole in the big toe area of their socks.

You should drink plenty of fluids—staying hydrated is important. And over-the-counter NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug), like ibuprofen, can help ease the pain.

(For more information, see the U.S. National Library of Science article “What Can I Do on My Own to Prevent Gout Attacks.”)

3. Know Which Foods Cause Gout Attacks

Third, with or without medicine, you have to change your diet in order to lessen the number and severity of attacks. Learn which items in your diet cause flare-ups, and avoid foods that cause gout. Most gout patients would agree that avoiding foods that cause gout is far easier than enduring another flare up.

Among the foods known to cause gout are sugary soft drinks, beer, alcohol, tomatoes, beef, pork, lamb, liver, herring, mackerel, mussels, sardines, tuna, and smelt. We’d also be careful about our intake of bacon, turkey, salmon, trout, and haddock. (See “Foods to Avoid with Gout.”)

That “avoid” list might make you wonder what you can eat.

Cherries are well-known as a safe “gout food.” Studies have shown that cherries can reduce the risk of a gout attack.

Safe “gout food” selections probably won’t surprise you: vegetables, low-fat dairy, cherries, and high-fiber carbohydrates are among the items that can help you avoid gout pain.

For more discussions of foods that work as part of a gout diet, see these posts:

SOURCES & RESOURCES

For more information on gout in general, please visit these posts:

Tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Comments
  • Steve, I just had my first attack, very scary. Typical big toe left foot. The whole foot swelled. Worst pain, like can I please remove my toe type was about like what this article stated. My doctor said “I think it’s gout, take Alieve once a day for a week” and sent me home. I have stage three kidney disease because of Viet Nam. I am 69, 5’5, 160lbs and still working so must be careful with drugs. My friend, it is day 30, my foot still swells worse in the evening like walking on a puffed balloon, can move the joint now but still use a cane for the one mile walk to my car each day. I quit meat and other advised to quit foods, am a non-drinker and smoker, took up cherry juice and think I might be very slowly improving. I want to dance again with my wife. I don’t know if my foot will be normal again. If it ever is, it’s rabbit food for life for me.

• 3/10 days is indeed completely false – probably the initial attack yes, but I’m still suffering with swelling and pain twinges over 7 weeks after….

• My first episode lasted 3-4 weeks. That was 15 years ago. Only one attack in the last 5 years thanks to a small dosage of allopurinol. My advice on feeling the niggle of an attack it to take the meds (NSAIDs or colchicine) immediately – the inflammation that causes the pain is caused by your bodies immune system attack the crystals, which isn’t in fact helpful and can cause a self-reinforcing loop.

For me the triggers seem to be heat and exercise. Presumably due to de-hydration and weight loss (your own flesh is high in purines which convert into uric acid and crystallize to form gout). I’m quite fit ( not overweight) and otherwise healthy.

B

• My current attack of wrist gout has
    Lasted 6weeks so far prior to this my last attack was 5 years ago am now begin Nanking to think this will never end I take alpurinal. Every day for many years be
    Cause of my medication I am limited to many pain killers that are prescribed I am 75 years of age and apart from the gout think I am fairly fit I do a lot of gardening when my wrist allows

• I’m 61first flare I had I ended in the emergency room, that’s when I found out I had Zulu gout in the knee worst pain ever I wanted my leg amputated pain was so bad after seven days I went to work with a limp but 3 days later I got flare up again very painful couldn’t afford emergency room again 250.00 deductible. I’m better now not my leg is still swollen even with medication. I need crushed to walk can’t go to work till swelling goes down it’s been 5 day’s now. Watching what I eat.

• got my first gout in my 30s and was free of gout until my mid 70s. Then I got it once in year 2016 and twice in 2017and twice in 2018. No medicine until 2018 but that only helped for about 3 weeks. I’ll stick to water and dietary supplements for now. Hope I never get it again!!!

• I am on my 70th day of a severe gout attack. I have tried four different type of medicines. I eat no red meat, shells or purine rich food. I do not drink alcohol at all. I tried vitamin C supplement since one week, apple vinegar, Bicarbonate sodium, but still suffering light swelling and pain in many joints of my right foot and much less in left one. I hope the attack will not come back after two days when I finish colchicine pills as it did when I stopped other medicines. I would like to mention that I was suffering vitamin d deficiency since one and half year, but I started to feel better only the last two or three months.

• I’m having my second attack and I’m only 27! I Don’t drink alcohol, eat much meat or overweight. On day 20 of this attack and I’m getting rather annoyed. Gout doesn’t run in my family and I have no other illnesses. Doesn’t seem that fair.

• I am sorry to read about the pain you all are experiencing, but it has helped me to understand the pain that I continue to experience. Thank you for sharing. I am 65 and this is my first gout experience. It is in my toe and foot and although the swelling, redness, and hugely intense pain lessened after 5 weeks…I still cannot walk and get stabbing pains in my toe and cannot wear shoes except for Fitkicks – hard to dress for work 😉 So it looks like all the articles I have been reading about the duration are not correct 🙁 Hope everyone gets better soon.

• I am 61 and just got my first acute attack on Tuesday in my ankle Started prednisones immediately felt slightly better then called my doctor and got colchicine. Next morning felt “almost cured”. Friday afternoon, wham, it’s back in full revenge. Continuing low dose colchicine and steroids and getting better slowly.

• Update from July 2018. No medication from start, just about six swallows of tart cherry juice in the morning, 500mg per day C tabs and tough diet this article recommends. As healing progressed, went through puffy sensitive to touch toe till Oct.23rd. Used oversized shoe with arch support and doubled up socks to walk. Now November 5th 130 days later, no pain, swelling gone and back in my dance shoes. Checked with my doctor, lost weight, stayed on this articles diet and slowly increased walking to keep blood circulating. I’d say don’t cheat on the diet. Most here say it comes back.

• I’m 52 fairly active and overweight. Had an attack Nov 18 & today Dec 3rd. Walking much better, swelling down and pain free. I also have been working since the second week of the attack. What I did was I got prescribed colchicine ( just 1.8mg) once then I flushed myself with drinking at least half a gallon of water everyday. Had celery as my snacks and restarted fish oil supplements. I’m not a doctor but this remedies worked for me. I hope your pains go away and keep the site rested and elevated as much as possible.

• On to my 4th week from my recent attack. This is by far (4 attacks) my most painful and longest. The other 3 attacks was manageable by 7-10 days. I still cannot weight-bear on my left big toe although it is better now than the first 5 days of my recent attack.Taking allopurinol 300mg daily for 10 days+ but still cannot notice its effect. I feel for you guys here. It takes one to know one. Wifey teases me of my “gouch”. xD

• I’m glad i found this thread as i was starting to think i had something other than gout because it’s been about 4 weeks, 5 visits to the doctor and lot’s of medication and i’m still in pain (although it started to get better a few days ago, but today i’m back to being stuck in bed). Medication doesn’t seem to work very well for me. I took colchicine for 5 days which did nothing, then 30mg of prednisolone for 5 days, then 15mg for 5 days and now down to 5mg for 5 days. I’m 42 years old, don’t smoke, have a beer once a week, pretty fit, but i have been eating quite a bit of red meat lately and over the Christmas break. I had gout a couple of years ago too but it didn’t last this long. I’ve been drinking about 3 litres of water each day to help flush it out. The doctor said he can’t take a sample of the fluid in the joint because it’s in a tricky spot (big toe) so just relying on the uric acid level in blood. So bloody boring being stuck in bed!

• I was diagnosed as having my first gout attack in my right big toe area and foot on December 13, 2018. Twenty-five days later, I’m still experiencing swelling (especially at night), big toe joint stiffness and a dull ache that mostly is felt when stretching the toe joint or pressing around the toe area. I regrettably did not seek any medical attention until one week after the flare up and at that time my doctor prescribed Indomethacin 50 mg twice a day for pain and swelling and it worked very well. My doctor also prescribed Allopurinol 100 mg to be taken once a day, but he was adamant in explaining that I should not begin taking this drug until my pain and swelling fully subsided cautioning that doing so could cause my flare-up to worsen. I think I have also read this in my research on gout medications, but I would be curious to know if this is consistent with what others here have heard from their doctors, so please let me know. I have cut about 90% of my alcohol consumption since my initial flare-up, but have “cheated” a little with two martinis between Christmas and New Year’s Eve and four glasses of red wine with meals over the past 25 days while greatly upping my water intake. While I know I’m healthier reducing my alcohol intake, I’ve not seen any direct difference that I can tell one way or the other when I’ve enjoyed that infrequent (wonderful) martini or glass of wine. Sorry for this rambling comment and glad I found this forum. Nice to know I’m not that much of an outlier still experiencing symptoms almost four weeks into first flare up. Good luck to all of us!

• I started having gout attacks 5 years ago after knee replacement and the attacks are getting worse lasting longer totally unbearable. I can’t take the pain meds recommended due to heart meds.
    The attacks seem to come when I stop one heart med and or start a new one which is often. I watch diet carefully and drink gallons of water daily.
    How many days should I take colchicine?
    Thank you for your time.

• Hello everyone I’m 51 years old and was diagnosed with Gout when I turned 32. I’ve had it in my big toe, ankle and elbow. Yet still the most painful place that I have experienced an attack is the knee. It is so much more painful to me as most of the body’s lower movement comes with bending the knee. Anyways January 12, 2018 and was prescribed 30 pills of Indomethacin. Today is January 21, 2018 and I am feeling so much better. My wife also stopped by the market and picked me up a bottle of 100% tart cherry juice. with rest and keeping your leg elevated and a ice pack; I’m telling anyone that it works but you have to stay off of the leg/foot and keep it elevated. You can also take/substitute the Ibuprofen liquid gels along with your prescription of Indomethacin/NSAID so that you don’t run out of your prescription during the attack. Yes it’s true you can get rid of that mean old Gout Monster with in 7 to 10 days but remember you have to elevate the area and stay off of it. And yes he is the Gout Monster. Although everything doesn’t work for everybody but this method truly works for me. I hope that everyone can find relief from the Gout Monster. Be Well.

• Hi everyone, i’ve been suffering with gout attacks for about 5 years. The toe next to my large toe, ankle, elbow and now my knee. Mostly i get an attack following Christmas which is the case right now with my right knee. I don’t normally consume a lot of sugar except for Christmas e.g egg nog with rum, chocolates, pie and sweets. Also i try to drink 6-8 500ml bottles of water a day to keep my urine fairly clear. If i don’t drink a lot of water my urine goes orangey colured and WHAMO….another attack. If i just follow those 2 guidelines, no sugar and lots of water, i’m usually gout free. Next year i’m going to refrain from all the goodies and alcohol and be more vigilante with drinking lots of water every day. I hope this helps and good luck everyone!

• I am glad I found this site and read all the comments, I am on day 34, however that number is somewhat not right. I got my attach on Dec 27th 2018 after having ribeye two days in a row and some apple cider beer (alot of sugar in that beer). I thought I hurt my toe from biking riding and wearing a new pair of boots when I did some yard work around the house. So for the next 10 days I was still eating red meat, some shrimp and drinking about 1 beer each night, while at a wedding and on vaca in Cali. My toe was killing me so the vaca was not a great vaca. When I got home from Cali, on Jan 8th, I saw the doctor and blood level was at an 8.5. So he said I got gout. Back in Dec 2016, when I had my 1st attack, they said level was at 6.5 so that doctor thought it is not gout and though I hurt my toe from biking riding. This is why when it happened again in Dec 2018, I thought it was not gout, which was a big mistake on my part. I was having an gout attack and I was still eating red meat, beer, sugars. Each day I was waking up still not getting better.

Since Jan 8th and I have started to drink alot of water (about 4 liters a day).
    No beer, not many sweets
    I have started Vit C, Apple Cider vinegar pills, cherry tart pills
    So on day 20 (from Jan 8th to Jan 29th). I can walk slowly, still small amount of swelling.
    I do not like to take meds, but if I want to swelling to go down I take indomethacin or adval.

My recommendation is when under attack , drink alot of water, no meat, no sugars (soda, fruit drinks)
    start cherry tart pills with celery seed extract, Vit C, apple cider vinegar pills. These pills might help you. You need to test the pills to see if it helps you.

Once attack is gone, and you are back to normal, continue to eat healthy, drink alot of water, introduce small amounts of light beer and red meat. (mabe 1 beer a week, one small red meat meal a week not on the same day) and see how it goes.
    Also get to a healthy weight, get rid of your large belly if you have one. Your wife will love it.

• I have gout on my right great toe and been taking Colchicine and alpurinol for past 3weeks now. I usually eat good. I don’t drink alcohol nor much red meat. But I don’t drink much water which I now understand H2O is quiet important. I have modified my food table even further and the pain still comes and goes. I lost so many days of work from this monster gout and I hope it does not come back. When I spoke to a podiatrist he said apply heat instead of Ice and he told me Uric acid melts or decimates better with heat like sugar and water dissolve better with warm water than ice water. I wish everyone pain free life and walking again. I missed my poor toe.

• Sorry for the long post. I am now 30 years old and have been experiencing gout attacks for 3 years. I am fit and exercise about 3-4 days a week regularly and do a lot of hiking during summers. I am a Vegetarian, so Fish/redmeat were ruled out of my possible gout triggers. I usually get my attack once a year during summer, i guess because of the excess heat here, combined with lesser water intake and higher intake of beer and other alcohol.
    This year has been different, I got the attack in Jan. Now that I look back, I see that over the last year, there has hardly been any weekend that has gone by without alcohol consumption. We took a cruise in November 2018 and would consume 5-6 drinks a day accompanied by lots of sugary stuff. Then came the holiday season and with that, lots of sweets and alcohol consumption was almost 1-2 drinks everyday for around 15-20 days. I thought that since I was regular at exercising, it would take care of the rest. I also had it in my mind that once the holiday season is over, I would start controlling my alcohol intake. But things did not go as planned, and looks like I had forgotten the suffering from my previous gout attacks. I continued 4-5 drinks over the 1st 2 weekends of 2019 and then suffered from cold. When this happened, i reduced my water intake because i wouldn’t feel like drinking water. Jan 22, I had what I can confidently call my worst gout attack, ever! Its been 2 weeks now(got a day worth of colchine prescribed, been taking ibprofen twice a day, took indomethacin 3 times a day for the first week) and it still hasn’t gone away. Its time for a reality check and the suffering that I’ve been through has made me promise to myself to get to much better eating/drinking habits. I plan to stick to :
    Reduce alcohol consumption to once a month. Absolutely no excuses. Probably skip a month for an extra drinking day during holidays.
    Drink lots of water everyday(setting up reminders on my phone telling me how painful the gout attack was)
    Reduce the intake of high purine veggies(spinach, high sugar fruits etc..)
    Goal is to go gout attack free for the coming year. Lets hope it works.

I guess the dietary sacrifices that are needed, become easy when you simply weigh it against the sufferings from a gout attacks. After all choosing between beer or being able to walk straight cant be hard right 🙂

• Sad to say but I feel so good listening to everybody story… I’m 34 I’ve been suffering with gout since I was 28… But recently I have had one of the worst attacks ever… my 1st experience was in my big toe and then it spread it to my knee and also my elbow.. But December 26, 2018 I have had a attack and it has lasted for the past 2 months…smh.. I’m on medicine I barely eat meat ..trying drink as much water as possible but just seems like this pain won’t leave… I feel bad for myself to the point I your felt suicidal.. that just from the Levels of pain.. And the embarrassment of being young and not even able 2 walk?.. But I know all in due time things will get better and I wish the best for everybody

• I had an attack once about 4 years ago, it lasted a few days and I thought it was originally a basketball injury or something. In reality I was a bit dehydrated from summer activity and simultaneously enjoyed a bunch of shrimp and beer at a BBQ. Once in a while my toe felt little pangs now and then, but nothing close to an attack. And again I was playing sports so the joint pains from normal activity were not uncommon and feel similar. Fast forward to this past holiday season. I had a full fledged gout attack kick in on Christmas Eve out of nowhere. It’s March 15 and the joint still hurts. While the swelling has gone way down it still threatens to come back and hurts tonight. Have been on colchicine but had to stop b/c it was throwing my liver values way high, and am now on allopurinol w/o the support of colchicine, which makes it more likely I may have a repeat attack over the coming couple of months. It hurts tonight an my serum uric acid level is only 5.2. I’m 45, was healthy, athletic, no family history of gout. It’s baffling and surprising that such a common, painful condition doesn’t have a more effective evidence-based treatment.

• I am 43 . When I had 1st attack I did not know that it’s a gout attack. After three weeks I went through medical examinations. I found the uric acid was 8.44 . It was high. I wan an alcoholic stop drinking. I have been drinking loads of water and taking medicine but still after almost 6 week pain is there. Inflation and swelling is not going at all. Preying to get rid of it soon. Being a cricket coach I am not able to work.

• I got my first gout flare March 4rd, 2019. The most painful experience I have ever had. Was on Prednisone for a week and then on something else for a few more days for a total of about 10 days. Was feeling better for about a week but it was not completely gone. Then it came back even worse than the first time. It is now about 8 weeks since my first episode and it is not completely gone. I am vegan but was a wine and beer drinker. I have given up alcohol altogether since March but it does not seem to help so far. I am typically a very active 58 years old individual (gym, walking, cycling, gardening) so this business of resting my foot and being disabled drives me crazy. Like others who posted here, I hope this will be over soon. I will post again once it does. I am glad to have read all the other posts to see that I am not alone in being afflicted by this longer than the “3 to 10 days” posted on most websites.

• Hi everyone glad I found this thread, I’m getting gout Sence I was 26, I’m now 40, never been to a doctor, but I’ve studied it throughout the years, to know it is, get an episode, probly every year and a half to 2 years, but when I get it it’s he’ll, I think what triggers it for me is dehydration and stress, as it doesn’t arrive any different, if I’m in good shape are when have weight on, the first few years, never got pain killers and used cry with pain as was so bad, now I take them at night for about 10 to 14 days, when really hurts, it usually starts in ankle for me, then big toe, then same on other foot after about a week, then all over my feet, where I can’t barely walk, lasts about a month, really hate getting it, but people with serious illness are worse off, so I count my blessings, but pain is so bad, so feel for everyone, who goes through with it, I wouldn’t wish it on my worse enemy, the pain is unbearable, I’m going start using cherry tart etc like ye all say, make sure keep hydrated all the time, eat good bit of meat, don’t drink too much anymore so I get it anyway, so I believe I get it when get too hydrated, any comments be appreciated.
    Thank you everybody, hope all are not suffering right now.

• Had pain and spasms in legs that we thought was caused by lumbar stenosis seen in MRI…..had 1st ever gout attack in foot/big toe and thought this too was caused by stenosis……three weeks later have a little discomfort still in big toe but weirdly my leg pains, etc have ceased since my gout attack….I know many of you are suffering much more and am sorry….but trying to find out if there is a connection between gout attack and lessening of pain….

• I’m 33 and just had my first gout attack recently. It’s week 4 and although the swelling has been gone for about a week (my toes actually touch the ground now, woohoo), the pain is still there in my joint. However, considering the amount of pain I was in previously, this consistent pain is bearable comparitively speaking. I’m here because what I read before said 10 days, so I’m wondering if it caused perm damage or something to my joint? My diet was really poor previously, although I’m not overweight (5’10” – 168 lbs). I’ve begun to eat veggies/fruits/nuts/celery and drink a lot of water + tart cherry juice now, but am not currently taking any type of mediciation for it. Will do the best I can to manage it going forward, and if my joint is always going to hurt now, at least it’ll be a good reminder to me to stick with the new diet and such. Only problem is I still can’t wear my shoes on my right foot, even with the swelling gone, and that’s the most annoying part; time to invest in some sandals?

• Not sure if I have gout, but have had high uric levels in my blood and was prescribed allopurinal. Currently unbearable pain in my right knee over the past 24 hours! I haven’t taken the meds yet, hopefully it works.

• whooooohooo…. I’m glad I saw this forum!!!! I had my first gout last month April 12, 2019, and now I still have it! May 11th 2019… I became so PARANOID thinking I’m the only one on earth having this long attack! But anyways, I changed my diet now, no meats, drinking lots of water.. started on colchicine for long term… after 3weeks or a month I’ll start my low dose of allopurinol… fight on guys! don’t give up!

• Hi all, glad i found this group, sad that there are so many of us. Like so many of you I had my first attack years ago and every year they seem to come more frequently. Right now I’m in week six of what can most accurately be disproved as three separate attacks, With only a day or two between them. For me the biggest trigger is dehydration and red meat. I travel domestically for work every other week meeting with clients and very often going to steak houses for dinners with them every attack I have is following a plane flight and a steak house. it’s fairly impractical to stay hydrated and a five hour flight although I usually try to balance water intake and one trip to the bathroom on each flight. I’ve also learned to just eat the side vegetables at the steakhouse although it does require a whole lot of explaining to my clients. I usually explain it away as a funky diet to lose weight

• Well everyone is different but figure I’ll throw out some ideas and if it helps someone, then it’s worth it. I haven’t had anything I’ve narrowed down that specifically triggers gout but have started to think there’s a few things that might. One is not staying hydrated can trigger gout. Just keep flushing your system out seems to help control gout. Second, anytime changing diet drastically. My first gout attack came after I was sick and not really eating much for 2 days. Then once I did it was meat, processed food, basically greasy junk. I took Meloxicam at it worked for a week, then it flared up again, so I opted for a steroid injection, which was huge help. My latest attack I am not sure what triggered it, so I opted for natural treatment as I wanted to see if I can do this without prescription meds. Its taken a week and now has slowly gotten better. Still a little painful to the touch but I can walk good basically just feels like a bruise. Anyway, I take the following. Half oz of apple cider vinegar twice a day (diluted with 8 oz water, make sure it has “The Mother”), 2 capsules of tart cherry extract, 2 or 3 pills of 600 mg celery seed extract, 500 mg turmeric curcumin twice a day. Also take fish oil and a men’s multi too. I’ll snack on celery and sometimes squeeze fresh lemon in my water. Which I think water is the most important of anything you can take. I have consumed 1 to 1.5 gallons every day. Just snacking on fruits (berries for the most part). Keep fighting everyone! It’s a lot of trial and error but hoping I can keep the gout flare ups at bay going forward!

• No need for more of the same. None of it is a miracle worker. I posted in order to remind each of you to add Chanca Piedra (prevents kidney stones). List of suppliers include: “Stone Breaker” from Herb Pharmacy” (liquid) includes celery, “Chanca Piedra” from Swanson Vit (500 mg capsules), “Uricel” from Rejuvica includes blend of most recommended herbs including cherries. Take for the rest of your life.

• Just turned 52. Had typical flares in big toe area and would go away after few days as typical flares do. Had pain in elbow for 6 months that kept increasing. Finally, the elbow got so swolen and the swelling and redness started moving down my arm and into my hand, the urgent care dr I saw diagnosed as cellulitus. After a trip to the ER and staying 3 nights in hospital with IV antibiotics continuously, we now believe it was a misdiagnosis. The elbow was a severe gout flare and continued to migrate down my arm, with severe swelling, tenderness and hot to the touch. I always heard that gout was related to red meat, pork and alcohol consumption. I am not a big meat eater nor do I drink any alcohol, BUT I did drink 8 cans of sugary soda a day. Come to find out that my kidneys could not get rid of all of the uric acid produced by consuming that much sugar sodas. I quit sugar soda all together, replaced it with water and unsweet tea. Since off sugar sodas for 30 days, I have dropped 30 lbs and uric acid levels have dropped to normal. Gout sufferers…please be aware of the over-consumption of high fructose corn syrup. It is not just meat and pork that causes flares…watch that excess sugar consumption.

• I wouldn’t wish gout on my worst enemy. I am a relatively healthy 52-year-old man who is still battling his first case of gout. I has been 6 weeks of pain and misery. My toe hurts all the time, the swelling refuses to decrease, the pain meds are a short term solution and I am wondering if this will ever get better. I rarely drink beer, I hydrate all the time, but I do have a sweet tooth. I would chop off my big toe if I thought it would make the pain go away. I now take cherry pill supplements, avoid red meat, I am in the process of converting to a completely boring diet all with the hope that I will eventually e able to bend my toe and walk without pain.

• I have been getting gout attacks recently, one every couple months since Jan 2019. The last one of a series of 3 started April 9, in my right big toe. Previously I had one in the left big toe and also knee which was the most painful. I did not seek medical attention until the 3rd one. Diagnosed as gout by physical examination. It has caused some kind of secondary issue where the gout attack appears gone but the toe/joint is still sensitive and lacks mobility – I can barely move it. XRays were done showing significant cartilage damage in the joint and resulting inflammation. Doctor can’t explain lack of mobility and has referred me to a rheumatoligist which I will see in 10 days. Also now that we know the gout is gone I got blood tests: 487 umol/L (8.2 mg/dL) and some reduced kidney function but not enough to be called a disease. Doctor says its too low to treat with Allopurinol and so far has offered no other solution. I have an apt with him also to discuss results. Does this sound right?? I really don’t want to suffer another attack and I was hoping I could take Allopurinol (or similar) to prevent it. (Just some details, when I was getting all those attacks I was also doing a lot of lifestyle things that can cause high purine levels, from what I researched later. Doctor said ok but lifestyle/diet doesn’t contribute a significant amount to over-all purine/gout suseptibility. I did find some research that said diet can contribute around 20% to over-all purine levels. A lot comes from metabolizing your own dead cells. Since then I have changed my diet to significiantly reduce the high purine foods I was consuming.)

• So glad I found this forum I have been dealing with this Gout attack since June 2nd. Still super confused on what I can eat besides lettuce lol my other issue is I have other issues with diverticulitis as well so I have to avoid nuts and anything with seeds too. So what’s left as far as options of stuff to eat?

• Can a person have gout with minimal swelling. I had several 2 week periods where my ankle joints were swollen. The swelling is gone but I have constant pain in ankes, achilles tendon area, and bottom of right heel. My joints and tendons hurt to the touch. I can only wear loose open shoes. Can’t be on feet long or they feel sprained and when it’s really bad, right foot feels broken. My uric acid level was 6.7 when all this started. Now whenever uric acid level is checked its in the 4s or 5s. My dad has bad gout, 180 attacks in one year. It started in his 40s and only has it under control with allpurinol in his 70s. My sister, who is a vegetarian had her 1st attack in her 40s. Her attack was in her toe so she was diagnosed. Neither of them have high uric acid levels or any very obvious swelling. Mostly just pain. I get slight swelling when my foot is in severe pain. I have pain in ankles, bottom of foot, and achilles tendons all the time now. An MRI from a year ago shows mild bursitus and sprain. Doc says it can’t be gout because I’m female, not post- menapausal, and I would have red hot swelling. This has been going on for 5 years. I’m now 48 and stopped menstruating for several months so technically I’m in perimenapause. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• I’ve now had gout for 6 days which is getting worse each day. My last attack was 13 years ago after bi-lateral knee replacements. I’ve been taking colchicine but hasn’t worked. I’m a beer drinker 4 nights a week , 2-3 only. Enjoy red meat. Haven’t had a soft drink in more than 10 years. I think anyone who has had knee surgery is prone to Gout. I’m 69 and this is my second attack ever. The worst part , apart from the excruciating pain I’m still in , is the lack of sleep. I’ve lived on 2-3 hours of broken sleep now for 5 nights ! 13 years ago I remember it got so painful that I had to go to a Rheumatologist who gave me an injection which cleared my gout up almost immediately. Maybe that is my answer again but it is so painful at the moment that I just cannot put my foot on the ground to get out of bed let alone getting to a specialist ! The pain I had after having both my knees replaced in the one operation pales into insignificance compared to the pain I’m currently experiencing. Unless you’ve had gout no one can understand how painful it is . My mates I’ve spoken to in last few days just joke about it as an inconvenience and say they’ll catch up with me next week for a beer or 2 !

• Glad I found this thread and as one person said, there is some comfort in knowing that I am not alone in my experience and how long it has lasted. I am 65, very fit, go to the gym 5 days a week, 5’11”, 150 pounds, not overweight, mostly eat vegetarian food, rarely eat meat and never any fast food. Had a few gout attacks over the years, first time about 15 years ago. Big toe, red, painful, BUT, it always went away in a few days with a few colchicine tablets. THIS current attack started May 14, 2019 and just when I thought it was abating, it came back a few days ago with a vengence. Today is June 28. SIX weeks. Yes, it really hurts to walk on my foot, the toe, top and bottom of my foot aches. All the above recommendations seem correct. I have taken colchicine and started on allopurinol. My uric acid level was 11 (eleven) and should be less than 5-6, it went down to 3 after 400 mg of allopurinol daily. Big problem is I have kidney disease and reduced GFR so I have to be careful about what drugs I take. I will seem my kidney doctor on Monday, July 1st and hope to come up with an optimal plan. My guess is that you need find out how to best control YOUR particular gout. First, the obvious is the triggers and for me that would be beer, I LOVE beer, red wine, and then whatever foods are high in purines. Next, make sure you get your uric acid level checked, know what you are starting with and then start of allopurinol. This med will help you get rid of uric acid but it takes time. I think those two would be the biggies-avoid the triggers, or be moderate-I am going to have a drink, I have abstained for SIX days and still had this emergent attack. Second, get on just enough allopurinol to keep uric acid levels in the lower range of normal. My theory is that you can then cheat on a few things, you don’t want to live as a monk, and know that you have some wiggle room for uric acid to elevate. Sort of like taking a cholesterol med, lowering the “lipid panel” and then allowing yourself some foods that you should supposedly avoid if you have high cholesterol. I may be overthinking this but I did anesthesia for 25 years, but will not pretend to know about arthritis or rheumatology. Get good advise from a smart primary care MD or podiatrist.

• Hi All, I experienced my first attack in late July 2018. Initially thought I had injured it as a result of playing golf barefoot on the driving range. I thought it was turf toe, or a repetitive strain injury. The right toe flared up and was unbearable to walk on. Didn’t see the doctor because obviously I knew best! Took about 2 to three weeks before I could fully walk on it wearing trainers though. Early may this year, trying to break in new leather shoes, right toe began to feel sore again. Went to see physio about another injury, she saw the toe and straight away said gout. Saw the doctor, got a uric acid test, results came back as 446. Bingo. Began taking ibruprofen and drinking copious amounts of water and sure enough, pain reduced dramatically and very quickly along with the slight swelling. Just recently had to wear formal leather shoes ( quite tight on the toe) and the same thing started to happen. Again, repeated the above…not too much of a problem except the odd sharp pain. I’m 39, active, don’t smoke, exercise regularly, eat well, do drink ( a fair bit) but try to look after myself. The doc actually didn’t recommend changing my diet dramatically saying as a former gout sufferers himself that sudden changes to uric acid levels can also trigger attacks. So, for me, it seems that persistent rubbing on a particular joint, in my case the toe, combined with heat, dehydration and perhaps too much beer can trigger an attack. I’ve still drunk alcohol and eaten red meat whilst having an episode. The key it seems is early intervention with NASaids and plenty of water to flush out crystals. Either way, the first attack I wouldn’t wish on my enemy! I just hope that I can learn to manage it and continue to do activities I love, whilst of course, enjoying the odd steak washed down with a nice glass of red! Go well people? Remember, your misunderstood Kings!

• My first gout flare up. Left big toe. In my 8 th day today. Taking my last steroids today and also have stage three kidney disease. I can’t take NASIDS although the first three days of this I had to. I worry about making my kidney disease worse with the medications. This is very painful but going to change my diet. I am 66 yr old female and over weight. Doctor gave me tramadal for pain which helps. I’m glad I found this site.

• In gout for couple of months. Agonising pain. My all dreams about exploring world after settling in life seems ruined. Couldn’t walk for long with painful left big toe and right heel for last 2 months. Though uric acid fall down to 3.1 from 6.8 in 3 weeks after taking Allopurinol 300 mg a day. Now my doctor reduced its dose to 100 mg a day. But pain is still there. It aggravate at night. Ideally with this uric acid now, it should nt. Even no alternate medicine helping to reduce the pain. Seems m lost in the valley of pain.

• I’m sure various drugs work differently for various people but what works for me is a prescription of prednisone which begins to lower inflammation the same day if taken in the morning and on average I can resume normal life activity with minimal pain in a day or two. Over the counter pain meds or prescription colchicine is absolutely worthless when compared to prednisone.

• Glad to hear other folks experience of gout this is my first lm also on colchicine this is my fifth day can’t seem to get rid of the pain . I thought I was a healthy person just had an op it went well then I am hit with gout I don’t drink or smoke I thought I drank plenty water.

• I am 50 years old. Had my first bout of gout about 2 months ago. Classic left big toe. I woke up and honestly thought I broke my toe somehow while I slept. I read a ton of stuff online and didn’t go to a doctor. I purchased Black Cherry concentrate tablets from GNC and increased my water intake. It fortunately went away in a little less than a week and hasn’t come back into my toe. However, I woke up 3 days ago and my ankle hurt so bad (I did not injury it) I thought it was broken. I knew what the problem was right away. It is still hurting but is subsiding. I did have a lot of alcohol last weekend and I’m pretty sure that along with the meats I grilled over the 4th contributed to my problem. I guess in telling my story I am encouraging everyone to take a daily regiment of black cherry pills. I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night. At minimum I believe that this is contributing to the shortness of my episodes. Sort of like taking zinc shortens a cold. I’m not a doctor but we are in this together. If you aren’t taking black cherry pills please go get some. It just might help you with this horrible malady. -Frank

• There is a way………………..apitherapy. By allowing 2 bees to sting me in the big toe, I eliminated my most recent gout attack totally within 18 hours. First let me state I keep bees, and have long been exposed to stings. So anyone trying this must start very slowly to make sure they are not allergic to bee venom. Grab a bee with some tweezers, sting followed by quick removal, give it a rest, do it again. Once one is confident that they can bee take bee venom without a dangerous reaction, this can work.
    In this case I caught 2 bees by the wings and placed them on the toe. Then I allowed the stingers to remain. In one hour the area was puffing up, in 2 hours the pain was pretty much gone, and in 4 hours I could walk on the foot with no pain. Next day it was almost as if the gout attack never happened. Today, 2 days later, foot is fine.
    Yes, it hurt severely allowing the venom to enter the already swollen toe, for about 10 minutes; however, following that the pain was quickly reduced.
    I urge anyone who has gout or arthritis to look into this. It is an old time remedy that is quite effective. It may sound crazy but, IMO, beats taking drugs and spending days disabled by a gout attack.

• Hi all I’m 55 currently in my sixth week of a gout attack,
    I’ve had it since my 30’s but this is the longest duration of an attack usually lasts a week then gone (for a few years) I’m not overweight 160lbs &6”1 I’m a runner so this has grounded me & very depressing I am currently trying to work out what I’m supposed to eat? So much conflicting information I’m “suffering” apple cider vinegar twice a day but to no affect as yet? My only sin is sugar which I’m trying to control off to see doctor again Monday