Indian spices aren’t just flavorful, they’re packed with health benefits, too. Turmeric alone is a super food with a wide range of benefits from lowering cholesterol to helping prevent Alzhiemer’s disease.
One of our favorite grilled dinners in my house is Indian-spiced chicken. While there are many variations of spicy chicken dishes in Pakistani and Indian cuisine, we make our own creations with whichever spices we have on hand. Here’s one of our favorites.
1 T turmeric
1 T ground coriander
½ T cumin
½ T minced ginger
2 t cayenne pepper
2 T lime juice
1 container organic Greek yogurt
½ onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 sliced cucumber
- Use a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder to grind the spices into a powder.
- Transfer to a food processor and add the yogurt, lime juice, onions and garlic. Process until smooth.
1-2 lb chicken breasts (This marinade would be great on drumsticks, too!)
- Place the chicken in a plastic bad and pound until thin.
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish, cover with marinade, and refrigerate for at least one hour. (The longer it marinates, the more flavorful it will be.)
- Grill the chicken until cooked thoroughly.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve with cool cucumber slices.