DIY Pest Control (Insecticides):
- For ants, sprinkle baking soda or corn meal over problem areas.
- For slugs and snails, combine two tablespoons of sea salt with ½ gallon of warm water. Dissolve the salt in the water and spray directly on slugs and snails. You can also spray this around your plant to repel the pests.
- For aphids and beetles, fill a yellow pan or large bowl with water and one to two tablespoons of dish soap or liquid hand washing soap; mix well. Place the pan or bowl in the middle of your garden. Aphids and beetles are attracted to the yellow color and the soapy water suffocates them.
- To make DIY bug spray, combine a clove of fresh garlic, one-half organic onion, one jalapeno, and one tablespoon of cayenne pepper in a blender. Allow the mixture to soak overnight. The following day, add one tablespoon of liquid soap or dishwashing soap and two tablespoons of vinegar. Spray in problem areas.
- For insect infested fruit trees, mix one cup cooking oil, one tablespoon of vinegar, one tablespoon dish soap or liquid hand washing soap and ½ gallon of water. Paint the mixture on the bark to smother insects and their eggs.
- For mosquitos, buy citronella plants and place them around your yard. If you have pets, do not allow them near the plants as they can cause skin irritations or more serious problems if ingested.
- For topical protection against mosquitos, fleas or other pests, mix the following essential oils: 10 drops citronella, 10 drops lemongrass or eucalyptus essential oil and 10 drops lavender essential oil. Combine all oils with 1 cup of witch hazel. Spray on skin as needed.
DIY Weed Repellents (Herbicides):
- Mix ¼ cup vinegar, ¼ cup sea salt and ¼ cup dish soap. Vinegar contains acetic acid, which kills weeds, and salt prevents new weeds from growing. Be sure to spray this directly on the weeds; do not spray your desirable plants or produce.
- Line sidewalks and paths with salt.
- Mix one quart of vinegar, 4 ounces of lemon juice concentrate and 1 tablespoon of clove oil. Again, spray directly on the weeds.
- Boil water and pour it directly on weeds to kill them.
If you have a DIY Pest Control or DIY Weed Repellent idea of your own, please tell us below in the “Comments” section.
Originally published in 2013.