Mold Exposure Symptoms and Treatment—Are You Sick from Molds and their Toxins?

This series on mold exposure symptoms and treatment explores this growing (but still largely ignored and denied) health problem.

A number of healthcare providers have made the diagnosis and treatment of mold and mycotoxin-related health conditions a priority.

© Tine Grebenc | Dreamstime.com

Molds and the toxins they secrete, called mycotoxins, are increasingly being recognized as a source of illness and wide range of symptoms, from mild to severe, including wheezing, muscle aches, headaches, fatigue, depression, sleep disorders, skin rashes, immune suppression, kidney disease, lung disease, and even cancer. Research indicates that these symptoms arise primarily from the harmful effects of the mycotoxins, rather than from infection with the molds themselves.

Yet despite the growing body of research implicating molds and their mycotoxins as the cause of chronic illness, many within mainstream medical continue to deny the existence of mycotoxin-related illness, let alone have experience in mold exposure symptoms and treatment.

Luckily, a number of healthcare providers have made the diagnosis and treatment of mold and mycotoxin-related health conditions a priority. This series on mold exposure symptoms and treatment explores this growing (but still largely ignored and denied) health problem. 

Part 1 briefly describes what molds and mycotoxins are and how they cause disease. Then, in Part 2, you’ll be introduced to how mold-related conditions are diagnosed and treated and you will learn how to locate a healthcare provider who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of mold-related illness.

Discover the Amazing Ways Food Heals -- and Supplements That Can Make You Sick.

Discover why food is the best medicine to help prevent, relieve, and heal disease and illness. Start reading Environmental Nutrition. Start your risk free subscription now!

What Are Molds and Mycotoxins?

Molds are all around us, continually reproducing by releasing tiny spores that travel through indoor and outdoor air. The mold spores land on wet or damp material and begin to grow and digest the surrounding material.

Some mold spores also secrete mycotoxins, very tiny toxic substances used to destroy other microbial competitors for a food source. Mold growth and mycotoxin secretion becomes amplified in water-damaged, damp indoor environments and are understood to be the most significant contaminants of water-damaged buildings.

Mycotoxins are considered some of the most dangerous mold components. There are three groups of mycotoxins that are most relevant to health effects resulting from water-damaged structures; they are: Aflatoxins, Ochratoxin A, and Trichothecenes. These are produced from common fungi including various species of Aspergillus, Penicillium, Fusarium, and Stachybotrys species. They enter the body through inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact.

While most mycotoxin exposure in less developed parts of the world is thought to occur from ingesting contaminated food, airborne contamination from water-damaged indoor environments is now recognized as a significant source of harm in developed countries. Some studies indicate that inhalation of mycotoxins is more toxic than ingestion. People who have been exposed to such environments have been found to have mycotoxins within their bodies.

Symptoms and Diseases Associated with Mold and Mycotoxin Exposure

Mold and mycotoxin exposure can cause a wide variety of symptoms and diseases. The severity of these health effects is also highly variable and is thought to depend on many factors. Unless their exposure is overwhelming, people with healthy immune systems are generally believed to eliminate most types of mycotoxins from the body without suffering noticeable effects.

However, those already suffering from a single serious health condition or from multiple less serious conditions may not be able to easily eliminate mycotoxins, leading to symptoms.

Mold exposure symptoms include:

  • Nervous system alterations: headache, fatigue, confusion, memory loss, brain fog, depression, irritability, sleep disorders, tremors, impaired balance, impaired cognitive development in children
  • Respiratory system alterations: runny nose, stuffy nose, sinus infections, cough, wheezing, asthma, shortness of breath
  • Skin irritation,rashes, and lesions
  • Eye irritation and discharge
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • Sick Building Syndrome
  • Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
  • Vomiting, diarrhea
  • Fever, chills
  • Muscle aches
  • Infertility, disruption of estrogen function
  • Thyroid activity disruption
  • Immune suppression
  • Liver cancer
  • Kidney disease
  • Pulmonary fibrosis

What to Do If You Have Mold Exposure Symptoms?

Of course, each of these symptoms and medical conditions can have numerous underlying causes. One way to help uncover whether mold exposure is the cause of your symptoms is to pay attention to whether you feel better after leaving the contaminated premises, usually a home or office. Many affected people do and may feel entirely well within a day or two. But, their problems recur when they return to the contaminated location.

If you experience any of these symptoms or medical conditions and you smell a musty odor in your home or office, check immediately for mold growing on walls, under carpets, behind shower curtains, in entry ways, closets, and crawl spaces. Not all mold problems are easily spotted, but a visual inspection on your part is an important first step.

The next steps are testing and proper treatment, which are covered in Part 2.


[1] PhysiolBehav. 2011 Oct 24;104(5):989-95.

[2] Sci Total Environ. 2012 Jul 15;430:75-81.

[3] SciWorldJournal. 2013; 2013: 767482.

[4] ToxicolInd Health.2009 Oct-Nov;25(9-10):569.

[5] ToxicolInd Health. 2009 Oct-Nov;25(9-10):617-35.

[6] ToxicolInd Health. 2009 Oct-Nov;25(9-10):681-692.

[7] >Toxins (Basel). 2013 April; 5(4): 605–617.


This post originally appeared in 2013 and has been updated.

Anchor
Comments
  • Ruth Etzel, PhD, MD, wrote in the Journal of the American Medical Association that molds and their mycotoxins can indeed induce illness and even premature death and they are commonly found in the U.S. food supply. Thus, be sure to avoid foods that contain molds and their mycotoxins: beer, fermented cheeses, grains, corn and peanuts.

  • I suffered from anxiety/depression and a host of other health issues for the past four years (probably longer.) I found that the anxiety, depression, hopelessness, fatigue ,and more, was directly correlated to Candida that I was just recently diagnosed. Once I cut out all the sugars, wheat, alcohol and took anti-fungals I started to feel leaps and bounds better within a few weeks. I’m just learning more about this Candida but it would be great if you did a story on it!

  • John H.

    Thanks for this excellent article, it has been useful to me.

  • Desi H.

    Going On 4yrs – Bio Toxin Illness. AKA CIRS.. Defective Gene turned On at the Age of 41. Had 3 pages of Symptoms!!! Searched for 2yrs to No Avail!!!! No Dr. Could Help Me… At All!!! I was Dying a SLOW DEATH!!! Literally… Found the Right Doctor… Alternative/Naturopathic/Internist MD. Nailed it, Just by All of My Symptoms!!! She has the Same Awful Illness!!! Her Defective Gene turned on at the age of 57. She sought the Medical Attention of Dr. Richie Shoemaker. Who Also has this Dreadful Disease. He Got Her Well!!! And Trained Her… to Heal Others!!! It called the “SHOEMAKER PROTOCOL” He has Since Retired, BUT… Trains Drs. Worldwide with His Protocol…. Google Dr. Richie Shoemaker and Find Drs. That He List… Often… that He has Trained… A
    Regular MD. Will NEVER be Able to Run the Test for this To Show Up!!! Has to be a Holistic Dr.!!!! I Lucked Up…. My Dr. is BOTH!!!! This illness is Very
    Expensive to Treat!!! Look for a Dr. with Both Valendations!!!! You have to Run a TGF – BETA – 1 Test…. to Show MOLD EXPOSURE… aka INFLAMMATION #…. Normal # is 2,000 & Under. My First # was 27,800!!!! I was SO POISONED!!!
    Good Luck to You All…

  • Sarah N.

    We have been in a rental home that has had black mildew in it for six years we’ve been killing it with bleach but we’re moving out and I had to clean out the closet and I am super sick today

  • Cheri K.

    I had my rental houses tested a couple of weeks ago. The mold count was 72,000. I am needing to find a Dr. who can help me get tested.

Leave a Reply

×
Enter Your Log In Credentials
This setting should only be used on your home or work computer.

×
×

Please Log In

You are trying to access subscribers-only content. If you are a subscriber, use the form below to log in.

Subscribers will have unlimited access to the magazine that helps people live more sustainable, self-reliant lives, with feature stories on tending the garden, managing the homestead, raising healthy livestock and more!

This setting should only be used on your home or work computer.

×

Please Log In

You are trying to access subscribers-only content. If you are a subscriber, use the form below to log in.

Subscribers will have unlimited access to the magazine that helps the small-scale poultry enthusiast raise healthy, happy, productive flocks for eggs, meat or fun - from the countryside to the urban homestead!

This setting should only be used on your home or work computer.

Send this to a friend

Hi,
I thought you might be interested in this article on https://universityhealthnews.com: Mold Exposure Symptoms and Treatment—Are You Sick from Molds and their Toxins?

-- Read the story at https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/nutrition/mold-exposure-symptoms-and-treatment-are-you-sick-from-molds-and-their-toxins/