For the nests:
- 2/3 C agave or brown rice syrup
- 1/2 C nut butter of choice (peanut butter, sun butter, almond butter, etc.)
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 4 C brown rice crisp cereal
For the topping:
- 3/4 C shredded coconut
- 1/2 C dark chocolate chips
- natural food dye
- dried cranberries (or anything else that you think would make a good “egg”)
1. Grease 12 muffin tins
2. Heat brown rice syrup, nut butter, coconut oil, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat until boiling, stirring constantly. Cook for one minute.
3. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
4. Place brown rice crisp cereal in a large bowl and pour the hot mixture over the cereal. Mix until cereal is coated.
5. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins. Fill each muffin 3/4 full. Using your hands or a small spoon (be careful, the mixture may be hot), create small indents in the tops of each treat to create the look of a bird nest.
6. Melt the chocolate chips in a small pan. Drizzle inside each nest to coat the top with chocolate.
7. Tint the coconut green or yellow by mixing a small amount homemade food dye with the coconut in a small bowl.
8. Fill the holes of the nests with tinted coconut and top with dried cranberries.