© Metin Cengiz Barış | Dreamstime
Well-cared-for feet are a sign of health and beauty. But when toenail fungus appears, having others see your feet can be embarrassing. Why do fungal nail infections appear? Let’s explore the reasons—and then look at a pair of home remedies for toenail fungus that may work.
A fungal nail infection occurs when a fungus infects one or more of your nails. The first thing you may notice is a yellow or white spot under your nails; it’s more common in toenails than fingernails. As the fungus grows and penetrates more deeply into your nail, the nail loses its color and gets thick. Apart from being painful and uncomfortable, many people complain about this problem because their feet become unattractive.
What if you have a date and don’t want to wear open-toed shoes because you have toenail fungus? This is an embarrassing situation that can lead to self-esteem issues and to problems in your relationships.
Live more independently and ease the burden on your children, spouse, and loved ones.
Claim your FREE copy, right now, of our definitive guide on aging and independence.
What Causes Toenail Fungus?
Even though toenail fungus is more common in elder adults, young people are not immune. Some conditions that make it more likely are:
- Excessive sweating of the feet
- Working in a humid environment
- Having psoriasis
- Walking barefoot in public places that are likely to be wet, such as swimming pools, gyms, and showers
- Wearing shoes and socks which does not allow airflow
- Having athlete’s foot
- Having diabetes
- Having some minor injury in a nail or having an ingrown nail
- Having circulatory problems
- Having a weak immune system
Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus: Worth a Try?
Fortunately, there are medicines taken orally as well as topical or local treatments—such as antifungal lotions and nail polishes—that your dermatologist can recommend for curing toenail fungus infections.
Some of these treatments, however, are expensive, and some people don’t have health insurance to cover them, so they rely on home remedies to treat toenail fungus. The most common remedies are vinegar and Vicks VapoRub.
- Vinegar: Some studies have shown that vinegar inhibits certain bacterial growth. For this reason, it is believed to be effective as a nail fungus treatment. If you decide to try it, I suggest the following:
- Soak your feet in a mixture consisting of one part vinegar and two parts warm water.
- Leave them in the water for no longer than 15 to 20 minutes.
- When you’re done, rinse and dry your feet very well.
- You can do this every day as long as your skin does not get irritated. If it does, it’s better to use this home treatment only three times a week or to try increasing the quantity of water in the mixture.
NATURAL REMEDIES FOR TOENAIL FUNGUS
For additional natural treatments, see our post 6 Top Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus.
I definitely recommend that you don’t try mixing vinegar and Vicks VapoRub…. Just imagine the combination!
If your toenail fungus problem persists after trying these remedies, visit your dermatologist to start a treatment based on medication. Don’t get discouraged. Fortunately, this is a problem that can be solved!
Source: Remedios caseros para eliminar los hongos en las uñas de los pies
Copyright © 2017 Vida y Salud Media Group. All rights reserved.
Thousands more health articles in Spanish on VidaySalud.com.